03 January 2007

What to Read

I read "The Taqwacores" last summer, after hearing about The Kominas. I am undecided about what I think of the book, whether I liked it or not, but it didn't elicit very strong feelings for me. I have so much free time now that I think I might read it again tomorrow to reassess it. When I heard about this Muslim Punk style of American Islam, I was excited about it, but as someone who is completely uninterested in religion, it would have been much more exciting for me at age fifteen when I was 1) punk and 2) searching for religion.

I heard that the author of "The Taqwacores," Micheal Muhammed Knight, will be releasing a 2nd book Blue-Eyed Devil: Road Tripping Through The United States Of Islam, which looks extremely interesting. (EDIT: I assume the title is a reference to Nation of Islam, but it immedietly made me think of Inga Muscio's Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil: My Life and Times in a Racist, Imperialist Society, which I'm not really in any hurry to read.) It is definately going on my reading list, along with this one, and a whole stack of them I've been planning to read since last year.

No comments: